Friday, October 24, 2008

Look Up!

” I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1-2, KJV).

When I work at my computer for any length of time, I find that my vision begins to blur. By focusing only on what is directly in front of me, I become “nearsighted” and lose my far vision. It takes several minutes of looking into the distance before I can see clearly again.

Our spiritual vision can get blurred, too. If we look only at the daily tasks before us, we risk losing our focus on Christ. Our view of him is blocked. Helen H. Lemmel wrote a wonderful hymn in 1922 with the following chorus:

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.”

Helen Lemmel was blind, but her spiritual vision was 20/20. Take a moment now to look at the photograph above or the view from your window. Focus your mind and heart on God. Let’s “lift up our eyes” and behold him.

--Hazel King
(Photo by Corliss Sinclair)

Copyright 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment