Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Have You Seen God Lately?

(Photo by Corliss Sinclair, Torrington, CT)

Country music artist George Strait’s current single is titled “I Saw God Today.” The lyrics describe how God can be seen in everyday things and places if we only look for him. The chorus says:

”I've been to church I've read the book
I know He's here, but I don't look
near as often as I should
Yeah, I know I should
His fingerprints are everywhere
I'd just slow down to stop and stare
opened my eyes and man I swear
I saw God today” (Songwriters Rodney Clawson, Monty Criswell, and Wade Kirby)

God has many characteristics that can be attributed to no mortal being. He is omniscient, omnipowerful, and omnipresent. The word “omni” means “all.” God is all-knowing, all-powerful, all-present. He is everywhere at the same time. God is in the rose and among the thorns on the leafy stem. He is in the butterfly when it bursts forth from its cocoon and spreads its wings. He is in the first breath drawn by a newborn baby and the last gasp of a dying saint. He is in the homeless shelter and the palaces of kings. He makes himself available in the crack house as well as the church house. He walks unrecognized beside us on the road to redemption and reveals himself to us when we seek for him with all our hearts. God is in the here and now and the then and there. God is everywhere all the time. Everywhere. All the time. He offers himself to us at every turn because his desire is to live in our hearts. Wherever we go, we are in the presence of God. We think he is invisible, but only if we fail to look. Do you see him?

“And they were calling to one another: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory" (Isaiah 6:3, NIV).

Prayer: Lord, open our eyes that we may see your glory in all the earth. Help us to recognize you in the faces of friends and strangers and in the beauty of nature. Let your light shine in our lives so that others may see you in us. Amen.
-Hazel King
Copyright 2008

1 comment:

  1. I think we are all looking to see god today. We have a lot of reasons to need god and his comfort.

    The book of Ecclesiastes seems to hold a special meaning for this time of stress and fear. I think it would make a good bible study subject. Perhaps next time.eblec

    ReplyDelete