Monday, January 26, 2009

Ordinary Miracles

(Photo by Hazel King)

It was a day of wild winter weather: gusty winds, squalls of rain, a cold front moving in. On my way home I noticed a red glow behind a stand of trees. It looked like a fire, so I followed the glow to see what was burning. It turned out to be the sun, blazing brightly as it sank in the western sky. It looked like a huge, burning ball of fire which, in fact, I suppose it is. I watched for a few minutes until the sky began to darken and the glow lost a bit of its intensity. Before I made it home, I saw a perfect rainbow arching over a small shopping center. The entire rainbow was visible, end to end, with a pink aura between the two arcs. Two amazing demonstrations of God’s hand on our world in the span of a few minutes. The rainbow reminded me of God’s promise that the earth would not be destroyed by flood a second time. The brilliant sunset reminded me that as surely as the sun set it would rise again the next morning. I knew I could count on it, because somewhere over the rainbow God maintains order in the world he created. Sunrises, sunsets, and rainbows are more than just natural events that we take for granted. They are reminders of the supernatural…tokens of eternity.

“Earth's crammed with heaven,and every common bush aflame with God. But only those who see take off their shoes. The rest sit around and pluck blackberries.” --Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

By Hazel King
© 2009
Hazel811@embarqmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment