Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gone Fishing


Mark 1:17 And Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men."
Jesus called twelve Disciples and at least half of them were Fisherman. Why? I think it might be because of the qualities fisherman have. They are hard working. I am not talking about casting a rod and reel on a lazy day hoping to get a bite. I am talking about the kind of toughness we see on the Reality Show
"Deadliest Catch" Also, it requires real commitment. If you don't catch anything after fishing all night you go back out the next night and try again. What about us? How committed are we to the task of fishing for men. Do we do it only if its convenient, won't cost us anything, don't have to risk failure or worse yet rejection. When Jesus called them notice their response in verse 18 And they immediately left the nets and followed Him.
Christ has also called us to be fishers of men. So let us commit ourselves to the task at hand. Open our eyes and look for the opportunities to tell people about Jesus. Open our ears and listen for people who desperately need the Savior. Open our hearts and let the love of Christ flow through us so that others will see what a difference Christ has made in us and, last but not least, open our Church Doors to include people who don't dress just like we dress, talk just like we talk, think quite like we think. They might not look attractive to us but just remember in the Kingdom of God they are all keepers there are no trash fish. Good Luck.

1 comment:

  1. Rejection, being laughed at, made fun of. made to feel as I don't belong. All of these things have touched my life and I'm sure many of yours. This makes witnessing to non- believers very tough. I really admire those who seem to do this with such ease. I will strive to be like you. With hope and prayer, I hope that I will be able reach someone by the example of how I treat everyone, regardless of appearance or social status, or money. I thank Anchor Baptist for your acceptance.

    ReplyDelete