Friday, November 20, 2009

God is in Control



Isaiah 41:10
So don't worry, because I am with you. Don't be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you; I will support you with my right hand that saves you.

Recently, at our Church, I have encouraged the congregation not to watch the news for 30 days. Why? Some might say, "We can not be like an ostrich and stick our head in the sand." Others chime in, "We must be informed." Both statements have merit. However let me ask you a question. Because you are well informed about our economic plight, and irresponsible actions of political and business leaders how has that helped you to change things? What have you done to straighten out the world situation in the last 30 days? When the prices go up at the pump do you immediately call a board meeting with the petroleum giants and demand an explanation? Have you been able to curve the the irresponsible waste in Government spending? Have you worked out a peace agreement in the middle east? The answer to all of these questions is NO. But, what you have done is stress yourself out, raise your blood pressure, lose sleep, slip into depression, because you have little or no control in those arenas. So I would encourage you to follow the simple advice of the serenity prayer.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
Click on the Link to Hear Twila Paris, God is in Control

No comments:

Post a Comment